Accomplishing goals is a tough thing and most of us have procrastinated in accomplishing them for various reasons. In preparation of 2013, I created a game to help accomplish some of these goals. All you need is a dice and this print out to get started. I’ve found that one of the fastest ways of accomplishing a goal is to make it fun.
There are several steps in achieving your goals.
1. Make sure your goals are realistic. Most people say attainable but I like the word realistic. For example, don’t put down that you want to fly like a bird when it’s not possible.
2. Break down big projects. Some goals that you might have are large like build a house. Instead, break big goals down into smaller ones like lay the foundation. Be very specific in the goal.
3. Think about all the tasks it will take and the things that might get in the way of achieving your goal. For example, if you need a website for your goal, you need to make sure you know how to attain the website.
4. Gather all your resources. Resources can be people or things. If people, let them know what you’re doing so they can keep you on track. Also, it’s a good time to set expectations for each person. For things, I recommend creating a space that is all about that goal where you can organize what’s going on with it.
5. Set deadlines. Make sure they are realistic deadlines too. If you’re reading this, it means you’ve probably procrastinated on a goal and it’s been sitting on your plate for a while. In this case, it’s fine to set each task completion in terms of months instead of days or weeks.
6. Stay positive and make your goal exciting. Sometimes goals can be burden. You find ways of making it fun. Part of my procrastination and making things fun was to make this game. Using the people resources, ask them to keep you on track. You might want to ask them to put reminders in their calendars to check up on you once in a while to see how you are doing.
Once you’ve completed your goal, take time to celebrate. Even if it was a small goal, celebrate it.
Give it a shot and let me know if it worked or not. This is version 1 and I’m already working on the next version.
Goal Adventure (PDF)