Arthemia Theme, PHP 5.3, and Broken Thumbnails

1
677


For the past few days this website was broke. Well, not entirely broke, just the thumbnails now showing up. Arthemia uses timthumb.php to handle the automatic creation of thumbnails and I think my webhost did a couple of things. I received an email a while ago that said that PHP will be defaulted to PHP 5.3. I took a look at this site and realized that all the thumbnail pictures were missing.

Here’s where I went astray in my research. I thought there must have been some code that PHP 5.3 didn’t like. After a few days of researching and banging my head on the wall I found a post to fix the problems. However there seems to be a couple of things you can do to fix the problem.

Problem:
Thumbnail pictures do not show up in Arthemia theme.

Possible solutions:

  • Change permissions of scripts and cache directory to 777 found in wp-content/themes/arthemia-x/scripts
  • Change permissions of scripts and cache directory to 711 found in wp-content/themes/arthemia-x/scripts (This worked for me)
  • Update to the newest version of timthumb.php  (make sure to keep backups of the previous ones that work)
  • Figure out what version of PHP works for you 5.2, 5.3 (I had to keep mine at 5.2)
  • Any of the combinations above

Good luck!

1 COMMENT

  1. Hi,
    I just got bitten by this one myself.

    The culprit is timthumb.php. The split() function got deprecated in older versions of PHP. It’s easy to fix by replacing any calls to “split” with “explode” instead. Or just update to the latest version of the file.

    Cheers,
    Andy

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.