Adobo is a foundation when it comes to Filipino cooking. There are many ways to prepare it. Each island in the Philippines has a different way of preparing it. I believe that they are all different because of the availability of ingredients in each location. With that said, here is a quick adobo recipe when you do not have fresh ingredients.
- 1 rack of pork ribs
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 5 pieces of dried bay leaves
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns (if you have any)
- 1 can of your favorite lemon/lime soda like Sprite or 7-Up
- Slice the pork ribs to create individual bones.
- Combine all the ingredients except the vinegar.
- Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
- Take out of refrigerator and place ribs in a pot on the stove.
- On high heat, bring it to a boil and cook for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add the vinegar.
- Cook for another 15 minutes.
- Serve over hot rice.